Navigation Bar

Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page

Page 215 of 432

Descendants of James Byrum

Generation No. 3

3. JOHN3 BYRUM (THOMAS2, JAMES1) was born January 31, 1810 in Edgecomb Co., North Carolina, and died January 27, 1870 in Madison Co., Tennessee. He married TREACY BARNES January 18, 1832 in Edgecomb Co., North Carolina, daughter of ? BARNES and TABITHA. She was born September 16, 1816 in Edgecomb Co., North Carolina, and died October 22, 1870 in Madison Co., Tennessee.

Notes for J
OHN BYRUM:
John Byrum was a Methodist and a Mason. The Masonic symbol is on his tombstone.

He moved from Edgecombe County, N. C. with his wife and four sons to Madison County, Tenn. about 1840. His brother, Thomas, and his family moved at the same time. Members of the Barnes and Webb families accompanied them.

Children of J
OHN BYRUM and TREACY BARNES are:
4. i.   RALPH HENDERSON4 BYRUM, b. March 11, 1836, Edgecomb Co., North Carolina; d. June 09, 1906, Wellington, Texas.
  ii.   JUSTICE BYRUM, b. 1832.
  iii.   HENRY BYRUM, b. 1834.
  Notes for HENRY BYRUM:
Henry Byrum enlisted in 15 May, 1861 in the Confederate At Jackson, Tennessee. He served in the Co. K, 6th Reg., Tenn. Infantry
The 1870 Census shows him single. He never married.

This work was started in 1929 from some old papers belonging to my grandfather, Mark Bennett Byron, Sr., who had died the year before. He grew up as a Byrum but changed the spelling in 1893. Our name has experienced many changes since the de Byreaume brothers followed William the Conqueror from Normindy to England. There the descendants of our ancestors in Lancashire became known as Byrom and his brother's descendants were called Byron.

In America the New England families and few in Virginia spelled the name Byram. Our ancestors in Virginia and North Carolina started out as Byrom Ind some ended up as Byrum after 1750. My great-great-grandfather (b. 1763) noted in his Bible that he was "Thomas Byrum, the son of James and Elizabeth Byrom.

It is interesting to note how the male children in each family are named after their father and uncles. From 1695 to 1850 our ancestors seldom varied in naming their children Henry, John, James and Thomas following the English ancestral custom.

In the course of collecting material for this book, I believe that I have had the pleasure of knowing more of our relatives than any other member of the family. In meeting these fine people, I observed certain characteristics that seem to prevail today just as they did in older generations. With very few exceptions, nearly every Byrom has blue eyes and brown hair. Where exceptions occur, it is usually a daughter who will have brown eyes, probably after her mother. The Byrom forehead is high and the nose is Grecian or straight, not aquiline. I was also impressed by the number of fair and often beautiful women in our family. Generally speaking, the men are pleasing in appearance and usually somewhat taller than the average. Most of the Byroms are slender or wiry and only a few could be described as stocky. Obesity is not a family characteristic.

Our ancestors in Virginia were planters and those in North Carolina were nearly all farmers right down to the present time. They are people who have lived close to the soil and prospered by it. While many are well educated, few have ever entered politics or professions such as medicine, dentistry, engineering or architecture.

Starting with the Revolution, we have taken part in every war. Many of these war records are shown throughout the text.

In studying the thousands of individuals who make up the many generations of any family, one expects to find a certain number of criminals, thieves and bigamists. I am proud to state that the many court records I studied were almost bare of offenses of this nature, indicating that our family has had an unusually fine recorcd for nearly three hundred years. In fact, there is only one record of an illegitimate child and that was before 1775.

In gathering this material I have visited court houses in nearly every county in Eastern Virginia and North Carolina, spent months in libraries in New York, Washington, Virginia and North Carolina. I have traveled nearly ten thousand miles interviewing distant relatives and written thousands of letters requesting family data.

Ihave regarded this work, as an assignment, self imposed because of my own interest in the subject. As such I do not regret the expenditure of more Chan $8,000 spent in collecting this data. I do hope, however, that the number of books sold will provide sufficient money to cover the printing and binding costs. As this goes to press I have orders on hand for 75 books. Only 100 books will be printed in this edition.

I have taken the liberty of devoting the last chapter of this book to mymother's family, the justins and Schroders of Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

Mark B. Byron III

Weston, Conneticut

iv.   RUFUS BYRUM, b. August 30, 1838; d. May 08, 1862.
  Notes for RUFUS BYRUM:
Rufus was wounded in the Battle of Shilo April 6 & 7, 1862. He came home and died.

v.   MICAJAH "MIKE" BYRUM, b. 1841; d. 1900.
  Notes for MICAJAH "MIKE" BYRUM:
Mike enlisted in Confederate Army 20 April 1864 at Medon, Tenn. and was a private, Co. E., McDonald's Battalion, Cavalry which became Co. E., 3rd Reg. (Forrest's) Tenn. Cavalry. Company muster role for 1 March to 15 May, 1964, shows him present. He never married and lived in Texas with his brother Wm. F. and family.

vi.   WINEFORD ELIZABETH BYRUM, b. February 22, 1843.
  vii.   JOHN R. T. BYRUM, b. July 02, 1849; d. October 08, 1868.
  Notes for JOHN R. T. BYRUM:
John enlisted in Confederate Army 30 Nov. 1861 at Denmark, Tenn. He was a private of Co. F., 51st Reg., Tenn. Infantry which later became Co. D. of 51st Reg. He was captured 21 Aug. 1862 at Toones Station, Tenn. and paroled there. The Company muster role for 30 Nov. 1861 -- dated 7 Oct. 1862 -- shows him absent "Escaped from Ft. Henry and not captured."

viii.   WILLIAM FRANKLIN BYRUM, b. June 03, 1860.

Page 215 of 432

Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page